field study observation

Field study observation

Accomplishing the ‘American Dream’ is an ideal that regardless of your social class or circumstances of birth anyone can climb up the economic ladder and attain their own version of success. Its all about attaining that success through hard work, sacrifice, rather than by chance. I am a product of a family who managed to climb up the economic ladder and be able to accomplish the ‘ American Dream’ however I’ve always asked myself  is it harder for immigrants to climb up the economic ladder in the United States of America then it is for individuals who were born and raised here ? . The first step I took in search of my concluding answer was to visit a hotel named Wyndham Garden Brooklyn Sunset park located on 39th street.

When I got off the train station, which was across the street from the hotel my first initial thought was what an amazing neighborhood to start a business. An area being so clean and not at all crowded or loud. I almost forgot I was in New York City. Being someone who wants to start her own business one day, small details like this are extremely important. The neighborhood. I procced to cross the street and immediately I recognized the hotel from the pictures on their website that was online. I pushed through the huge glass doors and was immediately encountered with a breeze of cold air. The lobby is a beautiful hall with white couches and huge chandeliers hanging down the ceiling. I encountered a family of five sitting down in the lobby having a conversation. They caught my eye because I recognized the language, they were speaking in. Arabic.

Will the People in the front desk recognize that I’m not a guest and kick me out? I ask myself. Hopefully not considering it is a hotel and they cannot distinguish between a guest or an outsider. I continue playing it cool and find a comfortable chair in the corner of the lobby. I positioned myself where I’m allowed to see the front desk, the elevators, and if I turn around the bar and restaurant that’s downstairs. I procced to take out my phone and click on the notes app to write down my observations. I thought about bringing a notepad but that will not be appropriate considering me not trying to be seen. I look up from my phone and I see two attractive employees assisting a couple. Both are professionally dressed; the women has a sleeked bun and she’s wearing a button-down white blouse and her college an African American tall man who is approximately six feet who’s wearing a navy-blue suit. Observing them while they approached the couple gave me a warm and safe feeling. They both had bright smiles and friendly tones creating a warm and happy work place. The couple who seemed like they were in their thirties, were greeted with a kind and a helpful manner. About fifteen minutes have passed, and they both make eye contact with me but don’t approach me. Mission accomplished.

A huge group of boys come out of the elevators. My initial thought was that they played for a sports team because they were carrying what looked like duffle bags. Most of them were blonde and tall. My guess was that they were from the Netherlands. I found myself looking at the guests and playing a guessing game with myself from what country they might be from. I guessed that most of them were European because of the similar features they all shared. Caucasian with blonde hair and tall. I turned around to see the restaurant that was downstairs. I smirked when I read the name CONSTANTINE in gold and black letters. The name of the restaurant is named after one of the most famous and beautiful cities in Algeria. It was such an amazing feeling to see something that took me back to my roots. Seeing the restaurant name reminded me of the owner of the hotel. A close family friend of mine who is Algerian that goes by the name Noufel Righi.

I’ve now been here for almost one hour. I find it strange how I still was not approached or asked anything, maybe because I don’t give off a dangerous vibe being that I am a little white girl who is only five feet. A loud sound of the walkie – talkie and a set of keys pass me from the corner of my eye. One man wearing fitted grey pants and a grey button-down shirt that had his name tag that read ‘Eric’ on it. He smiled and said, “Good Afternoon Ms.”. Which I replied with a soft smile “good afternoon”. I immediately shoved my iPhone back into my face to limit any further conversation. Wow I thought they must really do think I am a guest. At this point I realize that if I do not leave, they will figure out I do not belong here.

My initial thought before visiting the hotel was that I know the owner is Algerian, but I hadn’t thought that there would be anything cultural in it. I respect that factor about this experience the most. Being able to start a business in a country that is unfamiliar to you but still holding on to your roots at the same time should be greatly noticed much more than it is now. Immigrants who come from another country to America to share their love and cultural ideas is a great achievement. It’s what the foundation of living in America is built on. Being able to share your culture through your work environment tells a lot about your character as a person and the country you come from .