final interview

19

My initial thought before conducting this interview was that I’d Learn so much about the business administration field as well as connecting with those who left their homeland in search for a better life. Not only am I searching for answers, but I truly care about this field study because I am a child of two hard working immigrants and an Algerian myself. I’ve closely conducted my questions to avoid any sensitive subjects towards the occupant but to my surprise things took a different turn.

Ines: “What was the year you first arrived here at the united states of America and left Algeria?”

Noufel Righi: “wow a long time ago let me think, okay my son is 23 years old so around June of 1997”

He replied looking surprised. I think its because time passes us so quick that we tend to forget it’s been that long.

Ines: “okay I know this is a personal question but how old are you?”

Noufel Righi: “ha-ha! No, it isn’t at all I’m proud of my age because the older you are the wiser you become ha-ha well at least in this field, but um this march I turned 54!”

Ines: “oh okay cool, can you just tell me a little about what profession you used to have back home in Algeria?”

Noufel Righi: “Well, I owned a small company that controlled a small part of imports and exports coming through Algeria and Europe, it was good money like for example I would make 10,000 us dollars for doing only one shipment but there was downs because some months the business was dramatically slow. The only way in Algeria you can be successful is owning your own business, the unemployment rate there Ines is very bad, and many people are suffering but al’ hmdullah Allah gave me the chance in the land of opportunities”

He said looking worried. I think he was thinking about the current political issues currently taking place in the country and thinking about his family back home. His face lit up of happiness when he thanked Allah for all his blessings. Such a strong moment.

Ines: “How was it for you and your family if you have one when you first arrived at the united states being immigrants was finding a job hard? And would you call yourself a risk taker?”

Noufel Righi: “Ha-Ha oohh no finding a job was easy however to find a job that wasn’t dangerous and payed well was hard. I arrived here with 50 US dollars in my pocket and my son and wife. That’s it. My first job was a machine operator Ines. Can you imagine I was unskilled at this and my job was to sharp big industrial knives? This is a job I worked with until I almost lost my fingers when a huge knife fell on my index finger. Ha-ha risk taker doesn’t begin to describe an immigrant’s life.”

I cannot explain the mixed emotions I felt when he shared this story with me. The amount of pressure and weight that’s placed on these individuals just to provide for their family because they aren’t given the chance nor the opportunity to work in well provided work place with good benefits for the simple reason of them being immigrants? If you ask me none of it makes sense. How can one elevate when they are very limited in choices?

Ines: “I’m so sorry to hear that, but can you tell me how you entered the hotel industry? was it easy applying for jobs with no diploma while also being an immigrant with no experience in the field because you said before you owned a company back home?”

Noufel Righi: “oh yes, I’m glad you asked me this because if it wasn’t for my wife I wouldn’t be where I am today. After the incident with working as a machine operator my wife sat me down and we agreed that she will be taking over the bills for the next two years while I’d be going to college to receive a diploma in hotel and restaurant management. We didn’t think it would work but we took the risk. Her being a housekeeper money was very tight for those two years ill never forget. Some nights we wouldn’t have enough food for the three of us so I would say I wasn’t hungry, and I ate at work, but I would sleep starving, but everything changed after I received my diploma, I began applying for positions right away and been rejected multiple times before I received my first official job as house keeping manager in downtown Manhattan.”

Ines: “I’m glad to hear that, was there some advantages you can say you gained from Algeria that might’ve helped you in your journey a bit?”

Noufel Righi: “wow yes, I never thought that me having experience traveling the world back home within my business would give me an advantage here in America. This allowed me to learn Spanish Dutch and French and of course when I mentioned that in my resume to apply for the hotel positions it was a great help yes but I for sure learned most of my knowledge here in the states.”

Ines: “Describe your profession in two words please?”

Noufel Righi: “ha-ha only two words! wow okay so I think mesmerizing but very hectic!

Ines: “why mesmerizing such a unique term!”

Noufel Righi: “yes well, I travel the world for free and I see all different types of cultures and traditions it really makes you an open-minded person. I wasn’t like this before ha-ha. It’s such a pleasure being able to be social with all different types of people. I can truly say I love my job.”

Ines: “any advice you would offer an immigrant wanting to be in your shoes right now but was also in your position 23 years ago?

Noufel Righi: “For sure trust the process everything is a learning experience. Believe in yourself because there will be times in a country with so much competition where you feel like you aren’t enough or the same but push yourself where you become on the top. That is the goal to reach the top and do not stop until you do!”